Posts for tag: Podiatrist
What is an ingrown toenail?
An ingrown toenail occurs when the edge of the nail grows into the skin, causing redness, swelling, and pain. While this can happen to any toenail, it more commonly affects the big toe. While a minor ingrown toenail for an otherwise healthy individual may not be a cause for concern, some situations warrant turning to a podiatrist for care.
When should I see a podiatrist?
If you notice any of these signs of an infected ingrown toenail it’s time to visit a foot doctor:
- Increased pain, swelling, or redness
- Skin that’s hard to the touch
- Pus or drainage coming from the nail
Can you prevent ingrown toenails?
There are things you can do to reduce your risk of developing an ingrown toenail. Some of these steps include:
- Not picking, pulling, or tearing your toenails (especially torn edges)
- Making sure that you are trimming your nails straight across (never curved) and that you keep them level with the tips of your toes
- Wearing shoes that have a large toe box and don’t bunch up your toes (shoes with a pointed toe will put too much pressure on the toenails)
- Wearing the appropriate footwear for certain activities, such as construction work or sports, to prevent injuries
Your foot doctor in Vineland, NJ can help you have healthy feet
The right foot doctor (podiatrist) is an important part of your healthcare team. Your feet are important, but they are also often overlooked. The right foot doctor can make sure your feet are well taken care of, so your feet can take good care of you. Dr. Jeffrey Belancio at South Jersey Foot and Ankle Specialists in Vineland, NJ offers a wide range of foot care services, to help you have healthy feet.
So, how do you choose the right foot doctor?
First, you want someone you can talk with, who shares your concerns. Communication is one of the most important aspects of a great foot doctor. You want to feel comfortable talking with your foot doctor about your overall health, and the health of your feet.
Second, you want a foot doctor who keeps up with all of the latest information, technology, and other aspects of footcare. Medicine and healing techniques become more advanced quickly, and you want to be sure your foot doctor is giving you the latest information.
Third, you want a foot doctor who offers the broadest range of treatments and services. Your foot doctor should be able to provide comprehensive care of your feet, ankles, and toes.
Dr. Belancio provides the comprehensive foot care you and your feet deserve. He specializes in diagnosing and treating:
- Toe problems, including toenail fungus, ingrown toenails, and hammertoes
- Foot problems, including athlete’s foot, arthritis, bunions, diabetic foot care, flat feet, geriatric foot care, and plantar fasciitis
- Ankle problems, including Achilles tendon strain, ankle sprains, and ankle instability
The right foot doctor can help you and your feet function well and feel great. To find out more about foot care services, call Dr. Jeffrey Belancio of South Jersey Foot and Ankle Specialists in Vineland, NJ at (856) 839-0579. Call now!
- Ingrown toenails
- Chronic heel pain
- A broken foot or ankle
- Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in the feet
- Severe pain
- Difficulty bearing weight on a foot or ankle
- A visible foot deformity
- Signs of infection (e.g. redness; swelling; fever)
- An ulcer or open wound